Research has shown that the types of food and beverages we consume may have an impact on how we feel both physically and mentally. This project aims to examine some aspects of this relationship. In particular, this study will look at the immediate and medium-term effects of consuming foods sweetened with sugar or sweeteners on blood markers, body sensations and consumer acceptance.
The study is looking for people aged 18-60 with a BMI of 25-35 and participants will receive a £200 honorarium.
People aged 18-60 with a BMI of 25-35
University of Leeds
November 30, 2021
Here is a summary of what you will need to do:
1. Complete a short online pre-screening questionnaire.
2. Attend an information/screening session at the University of Leeds or virtually and sign the consent form.
3. If eligible, attend on 6 study days having collected a urine sample the day before and fasted from the night before your appointment (except non-carbonated water, if you are scheduled to attend the lab at 9am, you will be asked to not eat from 9pm the previous evening). On each of the 6 study days (about 4 hours each) you will:
4. On the evening before each study day, you will eat your usual dinner around the same time and at least 12 hours before your appointment on the next day. You will need to avoid foods that cause you bloating, excess gas or other gut symptoms and avoid alcohol or exercise.
5. On the morning of each study day, you will need to avoid strenuous physical activity and not consume any food or drink (up to 2 glasses or 500 ml of non-carbonated water is allowed) until your appointment.
6. After the study day visits, the researcher will call you the next day. Keep your exercise habits and diet as constant as possible over the course of the study.
Knowledge gained from this study will help our research into understanding the interaction between foods, body sensations and consumer acceptance. It may also help the food industry improve the nutritional profile of their food products.
You will receive feedback on your body composition tests and if any abnormal health parameters are detected during the course of the study, the team will inform you and support will be provided as required.
During the at-home intervention period, you will receive a 12 day supply of the novel foods to consume each day.