Tinnitus therapy, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is an effective treatment for helping people to manage tinnitus. This study aims to compare the effectiveness of a new digital tinnitus therapy, The Oto Tinnitus Programme, to conventional tinnitus therapy.
The Oto Tinnitus Programme is a digital approach to tinnitus management that delivers therapies through a self-paced smartphone app.
The DEFINE study will randomly assign adults with tinnitus to receive the Oto programme or therapist-delivered conventional tinnitus therapy, evaluating both their effectiveness in reducing tinnitus severity as well as the financial implications of both approaches.
Participants will be required to complete electronic surveys throughout the 12-month study period while receiving therapy for their tinnitus. You will be compensated £40 for your time.
Adults with tinnitus persisting for at least 3 months and severe enough to impact their daily life.
December 31, 2023
1. First you will fill out a pre-screening questionnaire on this website.
2. If you are eligible based on this questionnaire, you will have a telephone/video call with a trained member of the trial team. During the call, the team member will fully explain the research study and further assess eligibility with some health-related questions, including conducting a short hearing test. They will also be able to answer any questions regarding the study prior to informed consent.
3. If eligible, you will then be randomly assigned to one of the study groups. You will either receive therapist-delivered tinnitus therapy or therapy from the Oto Tinnitus Programme.
4. If you are allocated to the Oto programme, you will need to download and set up the Oto app. If allocated to the standard CBT arm you will be asked to book an appointment with one of the trial therapists.
5. At the start of the study, you will be required to complete baseline assessments.
6. You will be asked to fill out further surveys at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months, which will require you to provide the following information:
7. At months 6 and 12, some participants will have the opportunity to take part in a focus group to discuss your experience.